- Take our Probiotics Quiz for a FREE TRIAL OFFER
What are Probiotics?
Probiotics may help with the growth of good bacteria, which promotes a balance between harmful and beneficial bacteria. In addition, about 70% of the body’s immune system is located in the digestive tract. A healthy digestive system can help promote overall wellness of the body.
As a Greek word, "Probiotic" means "for life." As defined by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and World Health Organization (WHO) in 2002, probiotics are "Live microorganisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a benefit on the host."
Probiotics are friendly bacteria or yeasts that have been used for centuries as natural ingredients. Recent scientific studies support the many benefits of probiotics. Yakult is the only probiotic product in the world that contains our exclusive probiotic strain, Lactobacillus casei Shirota.
Are all probiotics the same?
- All probiotics are not alike; they vary by genus, species and strain. The benefits of probiotics are determined by scientific studies of these variations. It has been proven that strains of Lactobacillus casei, which Yakult contains, have a positive effect on the digestive system.
What’s the difference between “good” bacteria and “bad” bacteria?
- There are over 500 types of bacteria in a human digestive system; most of these are good bacteria, keeping you healthy. The bad bacteria, however, can cause disease and illness. A healthy person has more good bacteria than bad bacteria, but any change in the balance between the two types can cause issues with how the digestive system functions.
What can probiotics do?
- Probiotics may help to improve digestion and stop the growth of harmful bacteria.
Can probiotics be taken with antibiotics?
- Evidence does not show that taking probiotics will interfere with taking antibiotics. In fact, many experts recommend a probiotic be taken with an antibiotic because it may reduce the chances of antibiotic-related digestion issues.
Are probiotic products that contain sugar effective?
- Probiotics do not necessarily have a reduced effect while in a product that contains sugar.
Can you drink Yakult if you are lactose intolerant?
- Yakult is not lactose-free, however it only contains about 1g per bottle and may be suitable for some lactose-intolerant individuals. It is recommended to consult your doctor to find out if Yakult is right for you.
Is Yakult good for diabetics?
- Yakult contains about 11g of sugar, which is similar to the amount in half of a large apple and is less than the amount found in one serving of many sweetened yogurt products. Yakult Light is a lower sugar option with about 4g of sugar and is sweetened with a small amount of sugar along with Reb A, which is extracted from the Stevia leaf. It is recommended to consult your doctor to find out if Yakult is right for you.
Does Yakult contain aspartame?
- Regular Yakult is sweetened with Sucrose and Yakult Light is sweetened with Reb A, which is extracted from the Stevia leaf. Yakult never contains high fructose corn syrup or aspartame.
For more information about frequently asked questions, visit the FAQs section.
Lactobacillus casei Shirota: One of the most clinically studied probiotics in the world.